While our custom wood decks are built to last, they do require annual maintenance. And what better time to perform your deck maintenance than in Spring? It’s not too hot; it’s not too cold. It is just right. Even Goldilocks would approve.
Maintaining a Wood Deck: Essential Steps
Spring is well underway and it is time to cross another task off your spring cleaning checklist: deck maintenance. This past winter and its seemingly weekly snow storms may have wreaked havoc on your wood deck. It is a well-known fact that moisture and wood do not mix well. Fortunately, annual maintenance can prepare your deck for this type of weather and shield it from much of the potential damage.
- First and foremost, clear debris from your deck. This can be trash, branches, twigs, leaves, or anything that has found its way onto your deck during winter.
- Inspect the deck for any signs of damage. Pay particular attention for areas that may be affected by wood rot, especially on the joists, posts and beams.
- Check the flood boards for any signs of warping or cracking. If damage is too severe, you may need to replace the flood board.
- Meanwhile, look for any missing or popped nails or screws. Replace any missing nails with deck screws that are slightly longer than the missing nail. If a nail is popped, hammer it home.
- Look for any splintering or rough areas that may requiring sanding.
- Next, powerwash the deck to removed dirt buildup. Make sure the pressure level is not too high. This could damage the wood.
- Finally, apply a fresh coat of stain or sealer. This will not only give your wood deck a facelift, but will also shield it from moisture.
Of course, you may not have time for all of this. Don’t worry. Albaugh & Sons has you covered!
Professional Deck Maintenance in Frederick County
At Albaugh & Sons, our deck maintenance services for include pressure washing, water sealant application, and staining. In addition to making your deck look clean and inviting, these services also prolong the life of your deck.
If you have any questions about Deck Maintenance in, please contact Albaugh & Sons at 301-964-9379 or fill out the contact form found on our website. We are based in Frederick, Maryland and service all of Frederick County and parts of Washington and Carroll counties.