A new wood fence can be a great addition to any home. They are aesthetically pleasing – hello, curb appeal! – they help protect your privacy, they help increase home security, and they even increase your home value. Of course, in order to reap these benefits you need to ensure your wood fence always looks its best.
When to Repair a Wood Fence
A wood fence is strong and durable, but, as they say, all things must come to an end. Your fence can last for 30 years or more, but without regular maintenance – timely repairs, painting, staining, and waterproofing – it will not even come close to that mark. Over the years, your wood fence takes a beating: rain, sleet, snow, wind, stray soccer balls, rambunctious children, overly excited dogs, and so much more. So it is important to keep up with maintenance and repairs.
Common Problems with Wood Fences
- Broken Boards: Broken boards are perhaps the most common maintenance issue. With enough force, a stray soccer ball or an overzealous dog could wreak havoc on your beautiful deck. Repair or replace the wood fence pieces.
- Warped Boards: Heat, humidity, and other factors can cause some boards to warp over the years. When this happens. Simply replace the warped boards.
- Popped Nails: Occasionally you may find popped nails along your fence. If you do, simply hammer them back in. If they are rusted. Pull them and replace them with new nails.
- Wood Rot: If not properly shielded from moisture, wood rot can plague your fence, causing it to fail prematurely. When this happens, you will need to replace the affected areas of fence.
- Termites: Again, if not properly shielded, termites could damage your wood fence, requiring extensive repairs. You will need to replace the affected areas and treat others to ensure the termites don’t spread.
With proper maintenance and timely repairs, your wood fence can look great for years. However, when damage is extensive, you have a big decision to make: repair or replace? Consult a professional fencing contractor to make a well-educated decision.
Wood Fence Specialists in Maryland
Albaugh & Sons is a family business specializing in the installation of fences of every shape and size, short or tall, wood or vinyl, picket or privacy. Our residential fencing experience is unmatched and our approach is professional and honest. Whether you want a privacy fence or a purely decorative fence, our crews are capable of getting the job done.
The estimate you receive for your deck is not only competitive; it is extremely accurate. You will not encounter hidden charges or “extras.”
If you are looking for a Wood Fence professional in Frederick, Maryland, you’ve come to the right place! Please contact Albaugh & Sons at 301-964-9379 or fill out the contact form found on our website. We are based in Frederick, Maryland and service all of Frederick County and parts of Washington and Carroll counties.